Sunday, January 1, 2012

I want to make my own baby food, but I don't know the equipment I need.

It's very simple! As mentioned before, you don't need a fancy baby product to do it. You can use one but I've heard some negative things about them. 


You will need:
-A pot for steaming in or a veggie steamer (don't run out and get one if you don't have one, the pot works just as well). Don't use nonstick, the immersion blender WILL scratch it!
-A stove, if not using a veggie steamer (or an oven if baking)
-A vegetable peeler
-A sharp knife
-A spoon for scooping seeds
-An immersion blender or food processor (I really love the immersion blender, it's a lot less to clean than the whole food processor)
-Sink and water to wash your produce
-Storage containers (these are what I use: http://www.glad.com/products/food-storage/containers/mini-round/)
- extra bowls for pureeing in, if needed. Don't use aluminum bowls as they are reactive to acids. Stainless steel or glass is ok.


A helpful tip if using an immersion blender and an old fashion pot to steam veggies in: Steam your veggies, strain the water off the veggies, put veggies back in the pot and use the immersion blender to puree right in the pot.


Keep in mind, veggies and fruits do not need to be steamed only, you can bake items too. I did baked apples, with the skin on and pureed the whole thing, skin and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment